According Semantic noise can conflict with communication between

According to Huczynski and Buchanan (2007) communication is “a process involving the transmission of information and the exchange of meaning between at least two people”.  (Tubbs, 2017). For a thought or idea to be exchanged between two people, there are many different stages. Shannon and Weaver’s two-way communication model (1949) highlights these stages and many factors that influence effective communication. In 1949, Shannon and Weaver’s model of communication was designed to improve technical communication. However, later was used to describe different fields of communication. The model has five basic factors as sender, encoder, channel, decoder, receiver, and feedback. In addition, there is also the concept of noise, which affects the communication process (Appendix 1).The communication process involves a sender who sends a message through a channel to the receiver. They encode their message using suitable language or signals and choose a channel such as face-to-face conversation or phone. The receiver decodes the message; sometimes the sender’s message may be misunderstood even if a speaker sends a clear message because the receiver takes a different meaning to the message the sender intended. Shannon and Weaver identified this as noise in the channel. Noise can be environmental and semantic. Semantic noise can conflict with communication between people who speak the same language because many words have multiple meanings and sometimes the receiver misinterprets the message the sender intended. The source of environmental noise may be, for example, road vehicles, trains, and public works.Shannon and Weaver’s model include feedback so the receiver can check their understanding of the message via feedback giving the sender an opportunity to re-clarify the message. Last week I made a call to work to speak to my manager about working overtime.  I encoded my message and chose a phone as my channel. However, when he decoded the message he thought that I was saying that I will not come to work for a few days. He misunderstood my message. The noise in the channel was both a bad telephone line and the fact that I am from Poland and English is my second language. The manager thought that I wanted less work while I was asking for more work. Sometimes, the noise during a conversation can affect just one word that will change the meaning of the whole sentence. Shannon and Weaver highlighted this as noise in the channel. In this situation, noise affects the ability of the receiver to understood the message as intended. Next time when I will call to work or anywhere I will speak louder, slower and clearly, to make sure that the person on the opposite site will receive the right message from me. The feedback plays a big role in conversations between the people. In addition, verbal communication is only 7%, and the remaining 93% is nonverbal signals, including 55% of visual communication as body language, and 38% for non-verbal communication as the tone of voice, intonation, and way of speaking (Mehrabian, 1967).Communication is not a one-way process and plays a vital role because is the foundation of all human relationship. Finding and understanding the noise will help to solve problems in communication between people.